Tuesday 5 April 2016

A bit of a setback

My exercise plans have been thrown into complete disarray. Sad times.


I've damaged my Achilles' tendon. Basically I felt a tweak last week mid workout so I stopped and then rested over the weekend. Yesterday I was desperate to go for a run while my daughter was at her friend's house as I knew it was my only opportunity. In hindsight I shouldn't have but I did and this is what happened. 

I had some pain when I started but it was more of a stiffness so I tried to keep going. I stopped to cross the road and when I started to run again, the pain was so severe that I had to stop. I managed to limp home, took some painkillers and assessed the damage.

It's sore to touch around my tendon and I can't go on tiptoe so I know it is my Achilles. I can however walk with hardly any pain and there is no real swelling in the area.

I'm treating it using the R I C E principle. That means Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. I'm cutting out leg exercise completely for the next 10 days. If I don't see any improvement or if it feels worse then I will go to the doctor. I'm hoping that the damage is minimal so it will heal on its own.

I will keep you posted but for now this lovely ankle support is my constant fashion accessory


I was really upset yesterday and I will admit that I limped home crying. I'm feeling more determined now though. It is a setback but I won't let it defeat me and I will just have to develop a different workout routine while my Achilles' tendon heals.

Speak to you soon

Love Erica xxx

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fitter.Thinner.Happier | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig