Saturday 27 February 2016

Can you be happy and overweight?

I've been surprised recently by the number of Facebook posts that I've seen shared by friends which are basically praising themselves for being overweight. You probably know the sort of thing I mean where it says big is beautiful and who cares if my waist is thick. Now I'm all for self esteem and loving your own skin and I think it's great that there has been a move away from stick thin models as role models. I do wonder though if we are starting to go too far in the other direction. Being overweight is not healthy so shouldn't we be looking for a healthy middle way instead of preaching acceptance regardless of size. 

I've never been happy when overweight. There's nothing fun about your thighs rubbing together, struggling to run for a bus, excess sweating or trying to shove your muffin top into your trousers. I've definitely hid behind my fat and I've used it as an excuse and it worries me that people are using the big is beautiful message to justify their weight as an excuse to avoid doing anything about it. The obesity crisis continues to grow in the UK and with this mindset I can only see it getting worse.

I don't know the answer to this problem. It's Eating Disorder Awareness week and I hope that they will push for more emphasis to be given to overeating as a disorder.

Anyway I will continue to try to build myself a healthier life. I may never be skinny and that's not what I'm aiming for. I need to be thinner for my health and I want to be fit and toned. 

I'll be interested to hear your opinions on this and I certainly don't want to offend anyone who is happy being overweight. From my own perspective I have just struggled to understand that mindset. Speak to you soon

Love Erica xxx


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Fitter.Thinner.Happier | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig